Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl!!


Isabella turned 1 today...and what a day we had :) We took our morning walk to Barnes and Noble in the most horrific heat I have ever felt (okay..it wasn't THAT bad but it was pretty hot), had a bagel and soda, and pranced around in our pretty party dress-the first of many today. Then we headed back home for a little nappy-which she wanted no part of so we read "GO DOG GO" 900 times instead. We met Todd for lunch at Penn State and had lo mien at Panda Express on campus. Then it was off to the pool for a swim with friends (after a quick stop at Baby Gap for a new outfit) and then a 3 hour nap. Isabella LOVES the water and can now jump in and go under. She also learned how to swim under water from me to the ladder and signs 'more' when she comes up for air :) Dinner was at Chili's...chicken and mashed potatoes with ice cream for dessert. It is a good thing we have a closet full of clothes because we changed them many times today...can't have the birthday girl looking dirty!

Celebrating Isabella's birthday was a very different experience than celebrating Elisabeth's birthday. With Elisabeth, I look back at the night I went into labor, how Todd and I walked the halls waiting for my mom to arrive, and how at 11:21 on March 4th we had our perfect little angel (change that "WE" to "I"...I don't recall him writhing in pain and screaming for mercy). I often try to recall what Isabella's birth was like and then remember I wasn't there for it. I imagine her mom gave birth at home (home being a grass hut with a dirt floor) and most likely went back to work in the rice field the very next day. She didn't have the option of a supportive doctor or medicine or TV to help pass the time. She was probably in a great deal of pain-both physically and mentally knowing that she wouldn't be able to keep her little Yen Nhi because they just couldn't afford her. Seven days later, on July 4th, she was taken to the Lang Son orphanage were she began her wait for us to come and get her.

Having had the tremendous privilege of celebrating Isabella's birthday with her, I can't help but to be thankful for many people... thank you Mom and Dad for making our dreams come true, thank you Mary Nguyen for keeping me going and finding my dream, thank you to my sister for all the nights I called whining and crying, thank you World Child for having such a great agency, and thank you Elisabeth for helping me convince Daddy that this was a good idea:) With all of your help, love, and support you made our dreams come true!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Isabella, you are so special and have made your family so happy. I cannot believe she is one, I talked to you last year when your mommy got home with you. She introduced me to WC. My little boy in in Lang Son now, and I am very thankful to your mom fo all her help. I hope you liked your cake!
    Charisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I am just reading this now. I hope you are having a ball on vacation!!

    ReplyDelete